The chronicles of a veterinary student, foodie and self-proclaimed geek
DVM_Wannabee.blog
The chronicles of a veterinary student, foodie and self-proclaimed geek

Monday, November 15, 2004

 

My new obsession

Richard Nixon. Not Watergate, but Nixon the man.

I started reading All the Presidents Men, only to put it off until break--I found I have to make charts of names just to keep things straight, and I've got my hands full of enough charts and graphs right now. But it got me to thinking about what made the man tick--the book only gives you the reporter's side of the story.

Then I remembered diggerblue talking about Nixon's memoirs, and this weekend I finally saw Oliver Stone's Nixon. (I highly recommend!) The movie made me kinda think the guy was just plain evil, but at the same time I really felt bad for the guy.

He was clearly bitter, resentful and paranoid, he used people, he lied (especially to himself), he let others take the fall for his sins, he bombed the shit out of itsy bitsy Cambodia, but was he a bad guy? Was he mentally ill? Was he merely a victim of the system? Was he just plain evil? Or, like the rest of us, did he just want to be loved?

So I've got to get it directly from the source (not that it will make anything clearer)--so I'm headed to the Urbana library to check out his memoirs.


"The tricky thing about 'evil' people is they don't think they're evil."
--D. Blue


Dana Lee 15:42



Shamelessly
Advertising:




Reading:
Mental Floss


Sir Arhtur Conan Doyle
Study in Scarlet



Listening to:
Radio Paradise

The Shins


Practicing:
Classical Gas
Leader of the Band
Crossroads
Fire and Rain


Surfing:

Vet stuff:
UI College of Vet Med
Pet Columns
AVMA

News, politics, culture, religion:
The Guardian
The Chicago Tribune
The NY Times
The Washington Post
BBC News
Project Censored
Sojourners
Back to Iraq

Food:
Raw Recipes

For Fun:
The Onion
Engrish
Museum of Medical Quackery

Photography:
Ten Years
Best of 2003

Nature:
Animal Planet
PBS Nature
Nature Songs

Music:
Guitar Tabs
Play by Ear

















































































































































































































































































Designed by Anja Stern (Brazil) at Blogskins
Powered by Blogger
Google