The chronicles of a veterinary student, foodie and self-proclaimed geek
DVM_Wannabee.blog
The chronicles of a veterinary student, foodie and self-proclaimed geek

Friday, October 22, 2004

 

Yay!

Second round of exams are over (Bacteriology, Parasitology, Pharmacology and Pathology) and Epidemiology midterm next week. I can;t believe we're already halfway through the semester. I don't know if I feel any smarter. . .



The Nerdiest Nerd of All:
The Band Nerd


Last weekend when I should have been studying the differences between alpha-1 blockers, I visited my alma mater's homecoming game to play in the Huskie Alumni Band. Not only am I a vet-student-always-talking-about-gross-parasites-at-the-dinner-table kind of nerd, I'm also a former band nerd!

And I was the only drummer in the Alumni Band. The others weren't nerdy enough to come back.





There I am! In the yellow circle





I don't what that facial expression was all about. The cymbal player was from the class of 1968, and he and his wife travelled all the way from Arizona to come to the game.





We marched to the stadium with the rest of the marching band right through a bunch of drunk tailgaters, and on the way three drunk guys tried to give me beer. One guy put a full, closed, cold bottle of MGD on my drum and ran away. I had no pockets avaiable to put it in (the drum was in the way!) so I ended up giving it to some other drunk guy.




That drum major is having way too much fun.

The great think about being an alum is you don't have to wear the nerdy uniform and hat!



Notice how two band guys have to hold the conductor's podium so it doesn't fall over? That's how windy it was!


The crappy thing about being short is that no one can see you from the stands because the cymbal player or drum major is in the way. The great thing sbout being short is that everyone around you serves as a wind block--it was frickin' cold out there!

Since it was so cold I skipped the rest of the game and spent the the afternoon in DeKalb's one and only Irish Pub, O'Leary's. They even have a big plaster cow by the bar.


Dana Lee 18:22



Shamelessly
Advertising:




Reading:
Mental Floss


Sir Arhtur Conan Doyle
Study in Scarlet



Listening to:
Radio Paradise

The Shins


Practicing:
Classical Gas
Leader of the Band
Crossroads
Fire and Rain


Surfing:

Vet stuff:
UI College of Vet Med
Pet Columns
AVMA

News, politics, culture, religion:
The Guardian
The Chicago Tribune
The NY Times
The Washington Post
BBC News
Project Censored
Sojourners
Back to Iraq

Food:
Raw Recipes

For Fun:
The Onion
Engrish
Museum of Medical Quackery

Photography:
Ten Years
Best of 2003

Nature:
Animal Planet
PBS Nature
Nature Songs

Music:
Guitar Tabs
Play by Ear

















































































































































































































































































Designed by Anja Stern (Brazil) at Blogskins
Powered by Blogger
Google