The chronicles of a veterinary student, foodie and self-proclaimed geek
DVM_Wannabee.blog
The chronicles of a veterinary student, foodie and self-proclaimed geek

Saturday, April 17, 2004

 
I'm such a bad blogger.

No photos. No posts.

Well, anyway here's a quick (because I should be studying the equine and bovine limbs) rundown of my excuses:

- The novelty of vet school has not worn off yet, it's just that I'm a little busier this semester. Classes aren't harder or anything, but I fell a little behind early in the semester so I'm trying to compensate now. This week I start my new job and I have to get preparations going for my summer research.

- My camera is really nice so I'm hesitant to take it near the larger, poopier animals. I don't know if I'm allowed to, anyway. And I always seem to forget to bring it to school functions these days. But the good news is I finally figured out how to upload photos without using the crappily complicated software that came with the camera, so new photos are on the way.

To compensate for the dry spell, here's an old photo of Dr. Oluouch doing his impression of a dog penis:



Anyway, here's some things that I should have blogged about:

The Illinois State Veterinary Medical Association (ISVMA) conference in Arlington Heights. I got to annoy an official from the Illinois Department of Agriculture when I asked if said organization was working with other agencies such as the Department of Natural Resources or Center for Disease Control to examine the BSE and West Nile problems. She answered "no." I guess it was a stupid question. But of course I persited with more questions--like "why not?"

The ISCAVMA auction--the student organization raised thousands of dollars by auctioning off donated items such as handmade quilts, cases of wine, party packages, art work, massages and naked car washes (by 3rd and 4th year guys) and opportunities to pie professors in the face (photo of this coming soon). And most importantly, there was free pizza and beer.

The symposium trip to Tennessee that I did not attend but heard much about.

Vetscapades, the annual vet school variety show. Our very own Jim Park, Class of 2007, had (in my opinion the funniest impersonation) of the evening, of Dr. Zuckerman. There were skits about "Vets and the City;" I played a song about our cadaver; there was a ballet number ("The Waltz of the Parasites") with walting flies, tepeworms, turds and beer cans--based on a students' actual dream; and much much more. And, of course, there was pizza and beer.

And at this very moment the Doodle for Wildlife Auction is being held at a local restaurant/bar, hosted by Animal Planet's Dr. Fitzgerald (whom I have a non-sexual crush on--he reminds me of a cute shaggy dog!).


Cutie Kevin Fitzgerald and patient

The Wildlife Medical Clinic is auctioning off autographed drawings by celebrities like Mel Gibson, Sarah Jessica Parker, Alice Cooper, Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders, et cetera. I think they have wine and hors d'oeuvres instead of pizza and beer since it's a higher-brow event. I could have volunteered to work it, but I set tonight aside for studying. Which I have to get back to. . .

I promise more photos are coming soon!



*Illinois Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medical Association


Dana Lee 21:18



Shamelessly
Advertising:




Reading:
Mental Floss


Sir Arhtur Conan Doyle
Study in Scarlet



Listening to:
Radio Paradise

The Shins


Practicing:
Classical Gas
Leader of the Band
Crossroads
Fire and Rain


Surfing:

Vet stuff:
UI College of Vet Med
Pet Columns
AVMA

News, politics, culture, religion:
The Guardian
The Chicago Tribune
The NY Times
The Washington Post
BBC News
Project Censored
Sojourners
Back to Iraq

Food:
Raw Recipes

For Fun:
The Onion
Engrish
Museum of Medical Quackery

Photography:
Ten Years
Best of 2003

Nature:
Animal Planet
PBS Nature
Nature Songs

Music:
Guitar Tabs
Play by Ear

















































































































































































































































































Designed by Anja Stern (Brazil) at Blogskins
Powered by Blogger
Google