The chronicles of a veterinary student, foodie and self-proclaimed geek
DVM_Wannabee.blog
The chronicles of a veterinary student, foodie and self-proclaimed geek

Friday, February 27, 2004

 
Update

I'm working on two research proposals that are due Monday and maybe a few essays for some scholarship applications that are due Wednesday. All I have left on the research proposals is to revise my purpose statements (aka letters of application), which are kind of personal/professional statements introducing and selling myself and the project. The actual research proposal with hypotheses, methods, budget and such is done, though I have to create an abbreviated version to fit into one of my letters of application. C.V. is done. Letters of Recommendation are on their way.

I'm meeting with colleague and fellow blogger Emily on Sunday to review proposals--she is also submitting proposals and is the one who suggested I apply for the CZR grant as well as the Conservation Medicine grant. She's got tons of research and writing experience (relative to her tender age).

This weekend I also plan on catching up on actual studying--I did well on the the Anatomy exam, okay on the Nutrition exam (I think) and not-so-well on the Immunology exam--but that was my fault; I could have done better had I studied more. So after Monday I can get back in the groove.

I went out with the class last night for the first time since. . .October! There was a graduate school "mixer" at a local bar. I had a blast watching a few of the guys from our class participate in "speed dating"; in the first round they met 12 girls, spending 3 minutes with each girl. Then they secretly indicated the girls they like on a sheet that was later turned in to the mediators. If any of the girls they liked also marked "yes" on their sheets, they will get an e-mail today with their contact info. . .good luck, guys!

The mixer was a collaboration led by our own Kevin Lewis and involved the MBA, Engineering, Law, Med, and Vet Med students. In short, all the nerds. Kara and I met a bunch of Music grad students who felt left out of the loop, so now they're on the list, too.

. . .which brings up the question: why do all the technical-type nerds have to hang out with other such nerds? Why not mingle with the liberal-artsy types? What about the history, anthropology, English, art and theater students? Where were they last night? You know what--it wouldn't make a difference, now that I think about it. All the vet students were in a huddle on one side of the bar, the law students on the other, and the engineers were way off in a corner. MBA students were sparse and stayed confined to a few tables. I guess we need time just to see our own classmates, away from the smell of formaldehyde and horse poop.



Dana Lee 10:21



Shamelessly
Advertising:




Reading:
Mental Floss


Sir Arhtur Conan Doyle
Study in Scarlet



Listening to:
Radio Paradise

The Shins


Practicing:
Classical Gas
Leader of the Band
Crossroads
Fire and Rain


Surfing:

Vet stuff:
UI College of Vet Med
Pet Columns
AVMA

News, politics, culture, religion:
The Guardian
The Chicago Tribune
The NY Times
The Washington Post
BBC News
Project Censored
Sojourners
Back to Iraq

Food:
Raw Recipes

For Fun:
The Onion
Engrish
Museum of Medical Quackery

Photography:
Ten Years
Best of 2003

Nature:
Animal Planet
PBS Nature
Nature Songs

Music:
Guitar Tabs
Play by Ear

















































































































































































































































































Designed by Anja Stern (Brazil) at Blogskins
Powered by Blogger
Google