The chronicles of a veterinary student, foodie and self-proclaimed geek
DVM_Wannabee.blog
The chronicles of a veterinary student, foodie and self-proclaimed geek

Monday, January 05, 2004

 

2003/The Year in Review:
Academic/Professional Performance


Well, I'd say I'm about average in this category, and right now, average isn't enough for me. I got through the semester with very limited involvement in extracurriculars and straight B's.

If the class load is similar next semester, I can afford to put more time into extracurricular stuff and general professional development. I got my first copy of JAVMA yesterday (finally!), which reminds me that there is a world of veterinary medicine outside of school. We've been getting lots of e-mails about job and research opportunities in specific fields of interest which I plan on looking into, and I plan on attending the Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medical Association (SCAVMA) in March.

To reiteate, it's difficult to know how to prioritize and distribute time and energy; how much should be devoted to studying and understanding the books stuff, to extracurriculars that develop technical skills, to extracurriculars that develop "networking" skills and relationships, to socialization with my collagues, and how much to devote to the other things that make up human existence (personal relationships, hobbies, fun, health, etc.)?

I managed to keep my head above the water this past semester. But is merely staying afloat enough?


Dana Lee 18:02



Shamelessly
Advertising:




Reading:
Mental Floss


Sir Arhtur Conan Doyle
Study in Scarlet



Listening to:
Radio Paradise

The Shins


Practicing:
Classical Gas
Leader of the Band
Crossroads
Fire and Rain


Surfing:

Vet stuff:
UI College of Vet Med
Pet Columns
AVMA

News, politics, culture, religion:
The Guardian
The Chicago Tribune
The NY Times
The Washington Post
BBC News
Project Censored
Sojourners
Back to Iraq

Food:
Raw Recipes

For Fun:
The Onion
Engrish
Museum of Medical Quackery

Photography:
Ten Years
Best of 2003

Nature:
Animal Planet
PBS Nature
Nature Songs

Music:
Guitar Tabs
Play by Ear

















































































































































































































































































Designed by Anja Stern (Brazil) at Blogskins
Powered by Blogger
Google