The chronicles of a veterinary student, foodie and self-proclaimed geek
DVM_Wannabee.blog
The chronicles of a veterinary student, foodie and self-proclaimed geek

Monday, January 05, 2004

 

2003/The Year in Review:
Intellect and Creativity


I think I was an intellectual at one point. . . in the sense that I engaged in the more-than-occasional discussion about art, history, literature, music, politics, current events, et cetera. I even took up painting for a stint. I used to write little ditties about love and truckers and dogs and flowers and the like. I wrote essays and short stories just for the fun of it. I liked to think of myself as a Renaissance woman in the making. For a while one of my hobbies was reading up on metaphysics and discussing the philisophical and theological implications of the existence of wormholes and fourth dimensions over jalepeno poppers and beer (true intellectual food).

Look at me now. My daily and weekly goals consist of rote memorization of facts. My books by Hemingway, Welty, Hawking, Thoreau, Plato and the likes are all collecting dust. I gave away my paints and easel to afford the space for a real working desk. I find myself sitting in bars dumbfounded when my non-vet school friends talks about politics and current events. The closest thing I do to creative writing is posting on this blog.

The solution/resolution:
I still have my watercolor paints. And my German "water-color pencils." I am going to give some of my past animal-related artwork to the ISCAVMA auction (to raise money to cover the cost of the conference in March) and I'm going to start experimenting more with watercolors. If I get strapped for study time, I can just combine the two--I can practice painting the inside of a cow in full color. (but I don't think anyone would want to buy that at an auction. . .)

I will subscibe to a daily newspaper. A good one. And I'll try to read a half-hour a day.

I will put my favorite books in the bathroom so I can flip throught them and remember how much I love them.

I will draw a few comic strips and submit them to the T-Times (vet student-published newsletter).

I will listen to good music a little each day, perhaps while I read or study.

I will write at least two good songs this year, and at least one will NOT be animal or school-related.

All this in addition to maintaining good grades and getting the most out of my education. . . right?


Dana Lee 17:44



Shamelessly
Advertising:




Reading:
Mental Floss


Sir Arhtur Conan Doyle
Study in Scarlet



Listening to:
Radio Paradise

The Shins


Practicing:
Classical Gas
Leader of the Band
Crossroads
Fire and Rain


Surfing:

Vet stuff:
UI College of Vet Med
Pet Columns
AVMA

News, politics, culture, religion:
The Guardian
The Chicago Tribune
The NY Times
The Washington Post
BBC News
Project Censored
Sojourners
Back to Iraq

Food:
Raw Recipes

For Fun:
The Onion
Engrish
Museum of Medical Quackery

Photography:
Ten Years
Best of 2003

Nature:
Animal Planet
PBS Nature
Nature Songs

Music:
Guitar Tabs
Play by Ear

















































































































































































































































































Designed by Anja Stern (Brazil) at Blogskins
Powered by Blogger
Google