The chronicles of a veterinary student, foodie and self-proclaimed geek
DVM_Wannabee.blog
The chronicles of a veterinary student, foodie and self-proclaimed geek

Monday, September 08, 2003

 
Wow--it's been a while since I posted something. That's because veterinary school (here, at least) is two parts boot camp ("you're in the Army now!"), one part high school (with all its cliques and peer pressure), and one part frat party. In a anatomy lab last Friday, a large group of second year students came through the lab yelling and clapping, telling all us first years to stop being nerds and come play football. Those of us who ignored them were further harassed as they came right up to our lab tables and yelled in our faces. I've never been a frat boy, so I'm not used to this. . .

We have a big fat practical exam Friday for Anatomy (all the bones, muscles, blood vessels and nerves of the thoracic limb)so I studied part of the weekend, and just putzed around the rest of the time. The nice weather asked for some "putzing." I'll socialize more this coming weekend--the veterinary fraternity is throwing a "Testicle Festival" Friday--$5 for all you can drink beer and hog testicles (recently removed from local hogs by the 4th year students). In addition, Urbana is having its 2nd annual Beer Tasting Festival right down the street from my house on Saturday, accompanied by a chili cookoff. Fun Fun Fun!

And I did find an open mic night already--I'm playing on Thursday night at the "Courtyard Cafe" in the student union (Which, by the way, is a much more formal building than the student centers I'm used to; it's furnished like a 19th century plantation mansion. I feel like I'm in "Gone With the Wind" when I walk through there). I know I have an exam the next day, but I have two-fold justification for going: a) I should know the anatomy material by then anyway and b)twelve minutes of my life won't kill me. Unlike many open mic nights I've played, there's no need to get there early. You sign up ahead of time, they assign you a time slot, and you show to do your bit, then you can leave. Since it's at the student union, I can actually study in one of the quiet rooms afterwards.

Right now I'm in the vet school library, heading back to study Puddles and Pickles soon, and debating weather I should have a pizza delivered here.



Dana Lee 16:28



Shamelessly
Advertising:




Reading:
Mental Floss


Sir Arhtur Conan Doyle
Study in Scarlet



Listening to:
Radio Paradise

The Shins


Practicing:
Classical Gas
Leader of the Band
Crossroads
Fire and Rain


Surfing:

Vet stuff:
UI College of Vet Med
Pet Columns
AVMA

News, politics, culture, religion:
The Guardian
The Chicago Tribune
The NY Times
The Washington Post
BBC News
Project Censored
Sojourners
Back to Iraq

Food:
Raw Recipes

For Fun:
The Onion
Engrish
Museum of Medical Quackery

Photography:
Ten Years
Best of 2003

Nature:
Animal Planet
PBS Nature
Nature Songs

Music:
Guitar Tabs
Play by Ear

















































































































































































































































































Designed by Anja Stern (Brazil) at Blogskins
Powered by Blogger
Google