The chronicles of a veterinary student, foodie and self-proclaimed geek
DVM_Wannabee.blog
The chronicles of a veterinary student, foodie and self-proclaimed geek

Wednesday, August 27, 2003

 
Well, I made it through orientation and the first day of classes, and already should not being posting right now because I have a box of dog bones and lots of reading waiting for me. . .I'll be brief.

At a little ceremony Sunday, they gave us blue lab coats. It was very nice of them--apparently this is only the 2nd year they've done this. Then we all ate cookies and drank lemonade. Then they took us into a large room and our accompanying family and loved ones into a different room. 2nd year students met with us and told us that we have to get used to not being top of our class anymore and to expect to get "C's." Meanwhile, other 2nd years told our families to prepare to be ignored. Later that night many of the students met at a sports complex/bar. There, I met my "big sibling"--the second year students arranged for us to have a big sib if we want, a second year student to help us through our first year. Mine is very nice--she left me a apackage today in my school mailbox with school supplies and old exams.

Monday, more talking with 2nd year students (they organized and facilitated the bulk of the orientation). Then they separated us into groups of about 10, and they put all us 29 and olders into one group. Some are married, sone have kids. Our class is mostly caucasian, but I guess diversity takes on many guises. Then each smaller group ate pizza with a faculty member. Then we got our books and class notes--and by the way, riding my bike with 60 pounds of books in the rear basket makes for a very interesting challenge. Monday night there was a big barn party at the veterinary fraternity house out in the sticks, and I tried my best to mingle, but I ended up at home by 10:30.

Tuesday, more orientation and talking. They let us go at noon. I read, ran errands, then my friend Megan, who's going back to vet school at Ross U. next week, came to visit and we ate cheap, tasty Japanese and Korean food for dinner. The man behind the counter said we couldn't order soup because "you order too much food." Contrary to his prediction, I was still hungry after I inhaled my Bee-Bim-Bop, but we went to a "chocolate cafe" afterward. Unbelievable. Such places shouldn't exist. . .well, yes they should.

Then today classes began. Megan accompanied me in the morning and we compared notes. Literally. I stopped at home after lunch and found that a package was waiting for me at the local florist. It was a beautiful arrangement of a dozen red roses, ferns and some purple little flowers that look like lilac. The card simply said "You made it halfway through your first week. So, stop reading this and get back to work."


"You made it halfway through your first week. So, stop reading this and get back to work."

Classes are over for the day. I have a box of dog bones sitting next to me, waiting for my attention. Later tonight I'm going to a cookout the faculty is having for new students. I'll try to mingle. Right now I'm going to have a snack, then follow the flowers' advice and get back to work.


Dana Lee 17:31



Shamelessly
Advertising:




Reading:
Mental Floss


Sir Arhtur Conan Doyle
Study in Scarlet



Listening to:
Radio Paradise

The Shins


Practicing:
Classical Gas
Leader of the Band
Crossroads
Fire and Rain


Surfing:

Vet stuff:
UI College of Vet Med
Pet Columns
AVMA

News, politics, culture, religion:
The Guardian
The Chicago Tribune
The NY Times
The Washington Post
BBC News
Project Censored
Sojourners
Back to Iraq

Food:
Raw Recipes

For Fun:
The Onion
Engrish
Museum of Medical Quackery

Photography:
Ten Years
Best of 2003

Nature:
Animal Planet
PBS Nature
Nature Songs

Music:
Guitar Tabs
Play by Ear

















































































































































































































































































Designed by Anja Stern (Brazil) at Blogskins
Powered by Blogger
Google