The chronicles of a veterinary student, foodie and self-proclaimed geek
DVM_Wannabee.blog
The chronicles of a veterinary student, foodie and self-proclaimed geek

Friday, August 22, 2003

 
One thing I need to think about is balancing school and all other aspects of life. I have a friend (who shall remain anonymous) who did well his first semester, and decided he needed to lessen the stress load second semester and took on yoga classes, dating, two pets, and other new hobbies. Well, surprise suprise: he didn't do so well academically second semester. I understand why he did what he did, and it seems that the students and faculty here emphasize extracurricular actvities, socializing and such, but I'd really like to make it to the top (ten?) of my class for future professional purposes. I don't know how realistic a goal this is, but I know that some exceptional people are both well-rounded and at the top of their class. Being older may be an advantage; I'm pretty tired of heavy partying, I've had time to try different hobbies, and I'm not interested in dating (the guys here are too young for me and one "gentleman friend" is already more than I can handle).

However, as I was riding around campus today I realized that there are many things a large campus like this has to offer, and I want to take advantage of these things while I'm here. I have a feeling three years here will pass me by pretty fast.

There's plenty of places I could spend money, but I'm not talking about those--all the ethnic restaurants, outdoor and thrift stores, ice cream shops and bars--what I'm talking about are things like the Independent Media Group that runs a radio station and newspaper (and maybe a film studio?) all the art groups and bars with open mic nights, local bands, free shows at the art movie theatre and all the other things I don't know about yet. Not to mention all the veterinary school stuff--softball leagues (though I've always shied away from any sport involving a ball), clubs, professional organizations. Should I be in all of them? some of them? Should I try them all out first? Will I need them to "get my foot in the door?" Should I make a huge effort to socialize with my collegues and professors? Or will that come naturally? Should I get to know my neighbors next door? Where should I work part-time? Should I join a food cooperative? All these questions, and all I really want to focus on is being good at becoming a veterinarian.

Orientation starts Sunday and continues through Tuesday. Classes start Wednesday. I guess all of these questions may be answered soon enough.

I can't wait to read all this in five years and laugh at myself for being so nuerotic.


Dana Lee 15:02



Shamelessly
Advertising:




Reading:
Mental Floss


Sir Arhtur Conan Doyle
Study in Scarlet



Listening to:
Radio Paradise

The Shins


Practicing:
Classical Gas
Leader of the Band
Crossroads
Fire and Rain


Surfing:

Vet stuff:
UI College of Vet Med
Pet Columns
AVMA

News, politics, culture, religion:
The Guardian
The Chicago Tribune
The NY Times
The Washington Post
BBC News
Project Censored
Sojourners
Back to Iraq

Food:
Raw Recipes

For Fun:
The Onion
Engrish
Museum of Medical Quackery

Photography:
Ten Years
Best of 2003

Nature:
Animal Planet
PBS Nature
Nature Songs

Music:
Guitar Tabs
Play by Ear

















































































































































































































































































Designed by Anja Stern (Brazil) at Blogskins
Powered by Blogger
Google