The chronicles of a veterinary student, foodie and self-proclaimed geek
DVM_Wannabee.blog
The chronicles of a veterinary student, foodie and self-proclaimed geek

Saturday, August 30, 2003

 

Dem Bones Dem Bones


I took my box of dog skeleton (in pieces) home Wednesday to study all the bones of the thoracic limb (forelimb). We had to know all the little bumps (a.k.a. tubers, tubercles, tuberosities, ridges, and processes) and grooves (a.k.a. cavities, fossae, foramen) on each bone. This isn't so hard once you learn the muscles, since most of these bumps and grooves are names for the muscles that come into contact with them. Then again, most muscles are named for the bone parts that they contact. . . so. . .umm. . .Maybe it's not that simple after all. . . .

Well, I feel a bit funny riding my bike down the street with this box of bones tied to my fender rattling every time I go ever a bump. I know that most people who see me probably assume there are just art supplies in the box, but I actually feel bad for the bones that were, at one time long ago, someone's beloved pet. So to preserve whatever dignity that may remain in said bones, I created a little shock absorber for the box, out of an old piece of mattress foam.

I was thinking of naming my new bony buddy something like "Mr. Bone-Jangles" or "Skinny". Sometimes I just lay the bones out and yell at them, "Eat Something! ! !"



Dana Lee 12:23



Shamelessly
Advertising:




Reading:
Mental Floss


Sir Arhtur Conan Doyle
Study in Scarlet



Listening to:
Radio Paradise

The Shins


Practicing:
Classical Gas
Leader of the Band
Crossroads
Fire and Rain


Surfing:

Vet stuff:
UI College of Vet Med
Pet Columns
AVMA

News, politics, culture, religion:
The Guardian
The Chicago Tribune
The NY Times
The Washington Post
BBC News
Project Censored
Sojourners
Back to Iraq

Food:
Raw Recipes

For Fun:
The Onion
Engrish
Museum of Medical Quackery

Photography:
Ten Years
Best of 2003

Nature:
Animal Planet
PBS Nature
Nature Songs

Music:
Guitar Tabs
Play by Ear

















































































































































































































































































Designed by Anja Stern (Brazil) at Blogskins
Powered by Blogger
Google